I’m excited to announce ReviewNB, a tool that helps you version control & code review Jupyter Notebooks.
Jupyter is great for data exploration but it’s hard to go beyond that & do any kind of collaborative work with it. Following challenges exist in using Jupyter Notebooks with modern version control system like Git,
- Notebook diffs are hard to read. Hence we can’t do code reviews on GitHub
- Merging in remote changes is hard due to JSON format of Notebook files (.ipynb)
- No easy way to share feedback & have discussion around Notebooks
- It’s not easy to reproduce Notebook results
- It’s not easy to test notebook code cells
Continue reading “Introducing ReviewNB: Visual Diff for Jupyter Notebooks”
UPDATE: I built a tool to solve some of the challenges mentioned in the post. It’s now live at https://www.reviewnb.com/
A lot of people, including me, love Jupyter Notebooks. It’s a fantastic tool for data science. Today I’m not going to talk about it’s amazing capabilities but rather how it fails at two important things: Version Control and Reproducibility. I will also outline the current state-of-the-art to solve these problems. It’s a useful read if you are a Jupyter user. Let’s jump right in.
Continue reading “Challenges with Jupyter Notebook”